When Someone Dies

At Home

When someone dies at home you will need to call their GP and a doctor will come to the house to certify the death. You can then contact us so that we can bring the deceased into our care once the doctor has attended.

The GP will subsequently issue a Medical Certificate for the cause of death. The certificate then goes to the Registrars to enable the registering of the death to take place.

In a Nursing or Care Home

The staff at the Home will contact the GP when a death occurs and will then notify the funeral director to take the deceased into their care.

In Hospital

Following a death in hospital you will need to contact the Hospital Bereavement Team; they will arrange for a doctor to issue the Medical Certificate for the Registrars.

Registering the death

You should register the death within 5 days – this includes weekends and bank holidays.

  • For deaths in Lancashire or Sefton (Southport area)
    • Lancashire Registry Office 0300 1236 705
    • Sefton Registry Office 0151 934 2011/2012/2013
  • Outside these areas we can advise number to call.

A Certificate for a Burial or Cremation (‘Green Form’) will be issued to the funeral director, and you can purchase copies of the death certificate.

The ‘Green Form’ enables us to take the deceased from hospital into our care.

Arranging the funeral

You can call us at any time following a death and do not need to wait until the death has been registered.

Our contact numbers are:

  • Hutton – Tel. 01772 616362 (24 hours)
  • Penwortham – Tel. 01772 744700 (24 hours)
  • Tarleton – Tel. 01772 301700 (24 hours)

We will talk you through the funeral options available to you, and help you choose the best way to celebrate your loved ones life.

Funeral costs

Funeral costs can include:

  • funeral director fees
  • things the funeral director pays for on your behalf (called ‘disbursements’ or ‘third-party costs’); these include crematorium or cemetery fees, church fees, and doctor’s fees
  • optional items, such as flowers, service sheets, or newspaper notices

Paying for a funeral

The funeral can be paid for:

  • with money from the person’s estate
  • from an insurance policy or pre-paid funeral plan that the person had
  • by you, or other family members or friends
  • you may be able to apply for a Funeral Expenses Payment if you have difficulty paying for the funeral and are in receipt of qualifying benefit payments